Welcome to Vertigo, a service provided by Vertigo Media, Inc. (“Vertigo”, “we” “our”, “us”).
· Our principles with respect to your information and your privacy
· The information we collect about you
· How we use your information
· How we share your information
· Your choices with respect to your information
· How to contact us regarding privacy issues
We have a pretty simple approach to data protection and privacy, which can be summarized as follows:
You should know exactly what we do with your information
You should have full control over your information
We’ve designed the Services to give you control over the information you publish and share using Vertigo and other sites and services to which you connect your Vertigo account. Please take full advantage of these tools and make sure you only share what you want to share.
Information we collect about you
We collect information about you from various sources:
Information provided by you
You don’t need to provide us with any personal data in order to visit the Website. However, certain Services do require that you register for a Vertigo account and, by doing so, you will provide us with certain information:
· Essential information: When you register any kind of Vertigo account, you will need to provide your email address, your month and year of birth, and choose a password.
· Non-essential information: Your gender if you wish to provide it.
· Profile information: You may choose, at your discretion, to provide additional information for your public profile on Vertigo – for example:
o your real name
o a user name (which may be your real name or a pseudonym)
o the city and country in which you live
o a profile picture or avatar
o information about how you categorize yourself with respect to your content (for example, whether you are a musician, a label or some other category of creator)
o details of your other websites and social media profiles, including links to those websites and profiles
None of this profile information is mandatory, and any information you do provide may be deleted, edited, changed or amended by you at any time. For more information, see the Choice and Control section below.
· Information from correspondence: You will provide certain personal data if you contact us by email, use any of the webforms on the Website, or contact us by mail, fax or other offline means.
· Survey information: If you participate in any survey, you will provide certain personal data as part of your response, unless you respond anonymously.
· Information that you post: You may provide personal when you post comments, photos, and video, or contribute to community discussions.
Information we collect automatically
There is certain information that we collect automatically as the result of your use of the Platform, or through the use of web analytics services as described in the section on “Cookies” below. This information includes but is not limited to:
· the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the device from which you access the Platform (this can sometimes be used to derive the country or city from which you are accessing the Platform)
· the site that you visited immediately prior to visiting the Website
· the specific actions that you take on the Platform, including the pages that you visit, streaming or downloading sounds, sharing a song with another user, following or unfollowing another user, posting a comment, or performing a search
· any search terms that you may enter on the Website
· the time, frequency and duration of your visits to the Platform
· your browser type and operating system
· the nature of the device from which you are accessing the Platform, for example, whether you are accessing the Platform from a personal computer or from a mobile device
· your location data (e.g. GPS) when using Vertigo Apps,
· information collected through cookies and similar technology
· information regarding your interaction with email messages, for example, whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded the email message
How we use your information
We use the information that we collect about you for the following purposes:
Use of and interaction with the Platform:
· To operate and maintain your Vertigo account, and to provide you with access to the Website and use of the Apps and any Services that you may request from time to time. Your email address and password are used to identify you when you log into the Platform.
· To identify you as the comments that you post and/or the other contributions that you make to the Platform.
· To seek your participation in surveys, and to conduct and analyze the results of those surveys if you choose to participate.
· To provide you with technical support.
· To respond to you about any comment or inquiry you have submitted.
· To provide other users with data regarding people's listening behavior of their playlists, i.e. following their profiles.
· We use your month and year of birth to enable age restriction.
· Any additional information that you provide as part of your public profile, such as your real name, and links to your website and other social media profiles (but not your email address), will be published on your profile page. This information will be publicly accessible and may be viewed by anyone accessing the Website, or using our API or other Services. Please bear this in mind when considering whether to provide any additional information about yourself.
· Your email address will be used to send you service updates and notifications regarding your account, and (if you have elected to receive them using your account preferences) newsletters, marketing messages and certain email notifications. For information about how to change your preferences, and to unsubscribe from newsletters, marketing messages and email notifications, please see the Choice and Control section, below.
Improving and customizing the Platform and advertising:
· To analyze the use of the Platform, and the people visiting the Website and using the Apps and Services, in order to improve Vertigo and customize it to your needs and interests.
· To show you ads on behalf of advertisers, we use information that you make available to us when you interact with the Platform (e.g. by listening, favoriting or creating playlists), including location data, together with information you provide to us through the Platform, e.g. demographic information, you choose to make available to us (such as your age or gender) directly or through third party services. This allows us to show you ads that are more relevant and interesting to you. Please note that we do not share personal data with advertisers. Instead, advertisers pre-define a specific audience by certain generic criteria (e.g. the city of residence, the age range, or the number of followers of an unidentified user) for a specific ad campaign. If your profile matches these generic criteria, we may choose to display a suitable ad to you. We may also display ads based on the content that you have recently viewed or searched. Before we may use location data from the app for the first time, your mobile device will generally ask you for permission first. In case you gave permission to do so, location based services in your device will collect location data for a couple of seconds. These will then be shared with us or a respective service provider.
· To customize your use of the Platform and/or the content of any email newsletter or other material that we may send to you from time to time.
For other purposes, provided we disclose this to you at the relevant time, and provided that you agree to the proposed use of your personal data.
Sharing of your information
· Other users: Any information in your public profile (other than your email address) will be accessible by other users of the Platform, who may view your profile information, listen to your shared playlists, add themselves to your list of followers, and send you messages. If you comment on any playlists on the Platform, your comments will be available to all users of the Platform.
· With your consent: We will disclose your information if you have explicitly agreed that we may do so. We will make this clear to you at the point at which we collect your information.
· Service providers: We use certain reputable third parties, some of whom may be located outside of the United States, to provide us with certain specialized services related to the Platform. These third parties will have access to certain information about you, but only where this is necessary in order for those third parties to provide their services to us. Where we transfer personal data to these third parties, we ask and require these third parties to implement appropriate organizational and technical security measures to protect against unauthorized disclosure of personal data, and only to process personal data in accordance with our instructions and to the extent necessary to provide their services to us.
· Users of our API: Vertigo may grant permission to third parties to use our API, enabling application developers to integrate elements of the Platform into exciting new apps. Some of these developers may be located outside of the United States. Any information that you choose to make public on the Platform, including your public profile information and any public sounds, may be accessible to these developers. Please bear this in mind when deciding what information to publish on your profile. For information on how to limit the information that is available over the API, please see the Choice and Control section below.
· Other networks and connected apps: If you choose to connect your Vertigo account to other apps or social networks such as Facebook, Google+, Tumblr or Twitter, you will be sharing certain information with these apps or networks. In the case of Facebook, Google+, Tumblr or Twitter, any new public playlists that you share or listen to on Vertigo or any new favorites will be shared to those networks and will be visible to your followers and friends on those networks. In the case of connected apps, you will need to provide the app developer with full access to your Vertigo account in order to use Vertigo functions from within the app. This will mean sharing your public information, plus access to your private playlists. Vertigo is not responsible for these other apps or networks, so please make sure you only connect your account with apps or services that you trust. For information on how to control the information that your share, and how to disconnect your account from other networks or apps, please see the Choice and Control section below.
· As aggregated data: We may aggregate your personal data with similar data relating to other users of the Platform in order to create statistical information regarding the Platform and its use, which we may then share with third parties or make publicly available. However, none of this information would include any email address or other contact information, or anything that could be used to identify you individually, either online or in real life.
· If required by law: We will disclose your information if we believe in good faith that we are permitted or required to do so by law, including in response to a court order, subpoena or other legal demand or request.
· To protect our interests: We may disclose your information if we feel this is necessary in order to protect or defend our legitimate rights and interests, or those of our users, employees, directors or shareholders, and/or to ensure the safety and security of the Platform and/or the Vertigo community.
· In the context of a business transfer: We may transfer your information to any person or company that acquires all or substantially all of the assets or business of Vertigo, or on a merger of our business, or in the event of our insolvency.
Cookies and similar technology
What are cookies and other technologies?
A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer, mobile phone, or other device when you visit a website. The cookie will help website providers to recognize your device the next time you visit their website. There are other similar technologies such as pixel tags (transparent graphic images placed on a web page or in an email, which indicate that a page or email has been viewed), web bugs (similar to pixel tags), and web storage, which are used in desktop software or mobile devices.
There are also technologies such as mobile device identifiers and SDK integrations to help companies recognize your device when you return to an app or otherwise use the Service.
We use both session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which stay on your device for a set period of time or until you delete them). We use the following types of cookies for the purposes explained in this chart:
These cookies are necessary to allow us to operate the Services as you have requested. For example, they let us recognize what type of subscriber you are and then provide you with Services accordingly.
Performance / Analytics
We use these cookies to analyze how the Services are accessed, are used, or are performing. We use this information to maintain, operate, and continually improve the Services. We may also obtain information from our email newsletters, including whether you opened or forwarded a newsletter or clicked on any of its content. This information tells us about our newsletters' effectiveness and helps us ensure that we're delivering information that you find interesting.
These cookies let us operate certain functions of the Services in line with the choices you make. These cookies mean that when you continue to use or come back to the Services, we can provide you with our services as you have asked for them to be provided, such as knowing your username, remembering how you have customized our services, and reminding you of content you have enjoyed.
Targeting / advertising
We use these cookies to serve you with advertisements that may be relevant to you and your interests. The information may also be used for frequency capping purposes (e.g., to ensure we do not display the same advertisement to you repeatedly) and to help us regulate the advertisements you receive and measure their effectiveness.
We work with web publishers, advertising networks, and service providers to deliver Vertigo ads on other web sites and services. Cookies may be used to serve you with advertisements that may be relevant to you and your interests on other web sites and services and to regulate the advertisements you receive and measure their effectiveness.
Manage your cookie and other preferences
Please note that if you choose to block cookies, doing so may impair the Services or prevent certain elements of the Services from functioning.
There is no accepted standard on how to respond to Do Not Track signals, and we do not respond to such signals.
An available tool is the Network Advertising Initiative’s (NAI) Opt-Out Tool at networkadvertising.org/choices. This allows you to opt out from the use of information about your online activities for online behavioral advertising by NAI member companies.
On your mobile device, you may also have a “Limit Ad Tracking” setting (on iOS devices) or a setting to “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” (on Android) which allows you to limit the use of information about your use of apps for purposes of serving ads targeted to your interests.
Please note that even if you opt out using the mechanisms above, you may still receive advertisements when using the Services.
We work with advertising partners to serve advertisements on the Services. One of the services we use to track activity related to the Service, e.g., by placing cookies, is Google Analytics by Google (Google, Inc. a company headquartered at 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA). We may use vendors, including Google, who use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on your past visits to our websites, including Google Analytics for Display Advertising. Google provides tools to manage the collection and use of certain information by Google Analytics at tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout and by Google Analytics for Display Advertising or the Google Display Network by using Google’s Ads Settings at google.com/settings/ads.
You hereby consent to the use of the cookies and other technologies described above.
Choice and control
We do our best to give you as much choice as possible regarding the amount of information you provide to us, and the control you have over that information.
It is not necessary for you to provide us with any personal data in order to visit the Website, although certain information will be collected automatically by virtue of your visit (as described above). However, if you do decide to register a Vertigo account, you can control your information in the following ways.
In the Settings section of the Website, you may set your email preferences related to:
· which email notifications (if any) you would like to receive from us; and
· any additional or alternative email addresses that you may wish us to use to communicate with you.
It is also possible to unsubscribe from email newsletters and notifications (other than essential account notifications) at any time by clicking on the link at the end of each email.
Sharing with other apps and networks
The Settings section on the Website enables you to control the information you share with other networks and applications. As well as selecting those of your social networks you wish to share to, you can also control access to other services and applications to which you have connected your Vertigo account.
Sharing with other users
Vertigo is a very social place, but we allow you to control what users are able to see on your profile. You can set your profile to “private” under Settings.
Information on how to block or disable cookies is included in the Cookies section above. Further information is available at http://aboutcookies.org.
You can use the settings within your iOS device to opt-out of analytics tracking and bug reporting.
Deleting your account
You can delete your account from the Account page within your Settings on the Website at any time. Please bear in mind that, if you delete your account, all data associated with your account will be deleted and may not be recoverable.
Even if you delete your Vertigo account, it is possible that your information may still show up in some internet search results for a short while afterwards, if the search engine maintains a temporary cache of web pages. Search engines' caching processes are outside of Vertigo’s control and therefore we cannot be responsible for any information that remains cached by search engines after that information has been removed from the Platform.
Access to your data
As described above, most of the personal data and other information you provide to us can be accessed and updated in the Settings page of your Vertigo account. If you wish to access, amend or delete any other personal data we hold about you, or if you have any objection to the processing of any personal data that we hold about you, please contact us at email@example.com, or the address provided below.
If you ask us to delete your account (either via the Settings page or by email), we will do so within a reasonable period of time, but we may need to retain some of your personal data in order to satisfy our legal obligations, or where we have a legitimate reason for doing so.
International data transfers
Vertigo is not intended for use by children. Anyone under the age of 13 is not permitted to use the Platform and must not attempt to register an account or submit any personal information to us. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from any person who is under the age of 13 or allow them to register an account. If it comes to our attention that we have collected personal data from a person under the age of 13, we will delete this information as quickly as possible. If you have reason to believe that we may have collected any such personal data, please notify us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vertigo Media, Inc., 14835 Ballantyne Village Way, Suite 225, Charlotte, NC, U.S.A., Attention: Legal Department
Don’t want to give us your information?